Posted in Students

Non-EU students forced to perform by Immigration & Naturalization Service (IND)

A new Dutch Law orders Universities to verify if Non-EU/EER and Swiss students have earned 50% of their credits during an academic year. If the 50%-boundary has not been reached, the Dutch Immigration & Naturalization Service (IND) will revoke the students’ Visa. The law is set to be enforced starting January 1st, 2010.
Tuesday, October 26, 2010

(The Hague) – On July 16, 2010 the law on ‘Modern Migration Policy’ was published in the ‘Statute-Book’ (Staatsblad) and is ordered to be enforced starting January 1, 2010. Article 5.5 orders Universities to verify the academic progress of all Non-EU/EER and Swiss students for Visa purposes. Those students are required to acquire 50% of the credits each academic year in order to be kept ‘alive’ in the register of the Dutch Immigration Service.

Moreover, the law will also apply to current Non-EU/EER and Swiss students. Therefore, all the students that involved in this matters should be informed well. Although this was supposed to be done during August this year, it was not possible for me to verify this.

The first checks will take place during fall next year. So as a Non-EU/EER or Swiss student you have been warned. After the university have determined you do not comply with the regulations, you will be removed from the Immigration’s system within a month, causing your Visa to be revoked. Of course there are exceptions, like personal circumstances – illness etc. That’s why it is important to notify the university on time if anything like that occurs.

If you have not been informed by this change in regulation, you should complain to the School you’re currently enrolled at and ask for more information. Below the official statement as issued by the IND can be found:

“What changes will there be after the Act has come into effect?
After the Act has come into effect, all current students will be subject to the provisions of the new Act.

After the Act comes into effect, students will be given residence permits for the duration of their studies.
Students who have submitted an application before the Act takes effect will be issued with a residence permit for a maximum of one year. After the Act comes into effect, this permit can be extended for the duration of the studies.

Under the new Act, educational institutions must monitor study progress. A foreign student must pass at least 50% of the nominal study workload for (the part) of the academic year. In the event of
insufficient study progress, the educational institution must report this to the IND and the residence permit may be withdrawn.”

For the full notification by the IND please visit

 © 2008 - 2013 The ANDY Standard
Some images on this site © 2013 Getty Images
Some images on this site © or contributing photographers